Mehsana is one of the 33 districts of Gujarat state in western India. Mehsana city is the administrative headquarters of this district. The district has a population of over 18 lakhs and an area of over 4,500 km². There are over 600 villages in this district. It had a population of 1,837,892 of which 22.40% were urban as of 2001.
Mehsana district borders with Banaskantha district in the north, Patan and Surendranagar districts in west, Gandhinagar and Ahmedabad districts in south and Sabarkantha district in the east.
Major towns of the district are Vijapur, Bahucharaji, Modhera, Unjha, Vadnagar, Kalol, Kadi, Visnagar, Kherva, Jotana and Khadalpur, Sanganpur,Kheralu.
Simandhar Swami Jain Derasar is located near Modhera cross roads. It is 161 ft (49 m) long, 97 ft (30 m) broad and 107 ft (33 m) high. The central deity (Moolnayak) of the temple is a 145 inches (3.7 m) high white idol of Simandhar Swami in Padmasna.
Major Hindu temples include Toranvali Mata temple, Brahmani Mata temple, Hinglaj Mata temple, Bahuchar Mata temple, Kalupur Gadi Swaminarayan temple, BAPS Swaminarayan temple, Gayatri temple, Ambika Mata temple and Somnath Mahadev temple.
There is a temple dedicated to Ayyappa established by south Indian community and a Gurdwara Sahib established by Sikh community near Radhanpur cross road on State Highway
Boter Kotha ni Vav, a stepwell, is located opposite crematorium in Ambaipara area. Though connected to Lakha Vanzara by folklore, it is constructed of bricks and sandstone during the reign of Mughal emperor Aurangzeb. It is also known as Interi Vav thus. There is an inscription of Samvat 1731 (1674 CE) in Persian and Devnagari scripts. According to it, it was commissioned by Shah Gokaldas of Shrimali caste and Laghu Shakha and his mother Manabai for public welfare. It is 45 to 50 feet deep. It is eleven floors deep and had unique twin wells. It was repaired during Gaekwad era. It is now neglected and filthy.
Bihar became the first state in India to have separate web page for every city and village in the state on its website www.brandbihar.com (Now www.brandbharat.com)
See the record in Limca Book of Records 2012 on Page No. 217